The crewman's only purpose is to man an empty slot in vehicles and stationaries whose own crew have been killed. He has the tendency to stay put and fire away with his pistol. Use the Hold Fire comman to get him moving.
Make sure to order him to move to the center of the vehicle. If it is lacking both gunner and driver, he will man the gun first. If the vehicle still has a driver, it may end up being selected as you order him to man it. In these cases, select the crewman and press the mouse on a random spot outside the vehicle, then drag it over the vehicle and release.
Crewmen are easily distinguished from officers by the lack of a backpack.
- The crewman is the most visually under-equipped unit in MnB.
- He is also one of three units without some sort of pack on his back.
- You cannot remove the crew from a vehicle. Well, not alive, anyway.
- Until version 2.2.2e, the crewman DID actually have a backpack, you could even get him mixed up with an officer.
- "Handing rifle grenades to a driver is like giving a map to a Lt...don't."
- The crewman is pretty slow, considering he doesn't have a backpack and only has a pistol.